The Solution Accelerator Team at Microsoft have released a tool on Codeplex to help deploy setting across farms.... I haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting.
The SharePoint Cross-site ConfiguratorThe tool automates the process of deploying the MOSS site settings in all or selected sites in a server farm as shown in the following list:
Note The Tool also enables IT administrators to customize the site settings to be deployed.
- Applying Master Pages across a SharePoint server farm.
- Setting up Web Titles for all or selected site collections across the farm.
- Applying audit control settings to all or selected sites.
- Adding advanced settings such as “Allow content type management” to all types of lists.
- Adding a new Expiration Policy at the site collection level.
- Adding a new Expiration Policy to content types, lists, and documents.